Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Answers

So if you read yesterday's post you will know I asked a bunch of questions about the future of my girls.  If you didn't, scroll down!  Today I think I have an answer to all those questions:  I don't know.  And you know what?  That is okay.  I could get in an accident today on the way home.  One of the girls could develop a serious illness.  One of us could lose our job tomorrow.  Lots of things could happen that would totally change the course of our future.  The thing is that we never really know what tomorrow may bring so there is really no point in worrying about it.  Now I am not saying we shouldn't plan for the future.  That would be a huge mistake.  But the thing I have come to realize is that worrying about what might happen is completely pointless.  All it will do is add stress to your life, and Lord knows we all have enough to stress about.

I have absolutely no control over their future health.  I cannot predict their likes and dislikes as they grow older.  I cannot know that they will listen to and follow everything I teach them.  So what do I do about it?  I do the best job I can at being a dad.  I teach them the things that are important.  I teach them how to listen, how to learn.  I teach them to think for themselves and not rely on any other person to define who they are.  I teach them that it doesn't matter what the kids in school think about you, even though it may feel like the most important thing in their life at the moment.  I teach them right from wrong.  I teach them how to study and find answers on their own.  I teach them not to let others walk all over them, but at the same time to look for ways to help others.  If I do the best job I can at doing those types of things, then I have to have faith that they will turn into excellent young women.  If they choose to take another path I am sure I will be heart broken, but at least I will know I tried my best.

Also, if I am constantly worried that the girls are going to get injured or sick, I wouldn't let them experience new things.  I feel parents today have gone over board in trying to protect their kids.  Everything these days is so anti-bacterial that the first time a kid comes into contact with a germ they get sick.  When I was a kid I got hurt.  I have the scars to prove it.  But guess what?  I am still here, and I am a better person for those scars.  We didn't even have car seats when I was a kid, but we survived it.  Now I am not saying to tell your kid to run with scissors.  Buckle them up, put helmets on them before they ride their bikes, keep them safe, but let them experience life!  If you don't fall down a few times you never learn how to get back up.

Every day has new little discoveries.  It has opportunities to make memories.  That email can wait a few hours.  The dishes will still be there once the kids are in bed.  Do you really need to update your Facebook status?  One of the biggest things I keep trying to work on is being present with my girls.  I only get a couple hours a day with them after I get home from work and before they go to bed.  So during that time they need all my attention.  So if you know me, don't call between 5:30 and 7:30 unless it is an emergency.  If you text me, I won't reply until later.  Because the only way that I can teach them all the things I listed earlier is by spending time with them.  So I guess the main message I am trying to convey here is: Don't worry about the future.  Plan for it.  Work hard to make it good.  But if you are constantly worrying about the future you might just miss the present.   

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This is great stuff! And I agree about parents being too protective and it stifling the kids. Anyway, this was a very thought-provoking vlog and I enjoy them all! :)

    ReplyDelete