Tuesday, January 11, 2011

My girls Adopted Me

As of this last Wednesday I officially became an adoptive father.  It was a long and difficult process.  It came with many heartaches and sleepless nights.  But I could not be happier.  I am not sure it has even completely sunk in yet.  I am going to leave a lot of the personal information vague.  The biological family lives here in the same city and I have no desire for them to find us.

I have entitled this blog "Adopted Dad" because the more I think about it the more I feel that my girls adopted me, more than the other way around.  Yes, I am responsible for their welfare and upbringing.  Yes I have adopted them into my heart just as if they were my biological children.  But, they run to hug me when I get home and call me daddy.  They give me the biggest smiles, and hug me tighter than I would have thought possible with their little arms.  They know no difference between me as their adoptive father or as just daddy.  They adopted me to be their daddy.

I am by no means a writer.  I took a couple creative writing courses in college and have made a few starts at books that never got finished, but an accomplished writer I am not.  I just feel that I need an outlet to describe the journey that my wife and I went through to get to last Wednesday.  I also thought it might be fun to share the joys and sorrows of parenthood. Those feelings are the same whether you brought your kids home from the hospital or the courtroom.

1 comment:

  1. Very sweet! Just spent the morning with your mom; I'm sure she also feels like an "adopted Grandma" and loving every minute of it! I do so agree, it's the love and bond you form that makes you a "true parent", not the genetics! You are all blessed to have each other!!

    ReplyDelete