Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Power of Music

Since no one helped me out with any questions, and I am running out of material having to do with the adoption in particular, I figured I would write a post about the power of music.

The power of music is not a new concept by any stretch of the imagination.  It has probably been written on countless times, and from many different perspectives.  But I figured why not add mine.  Music has always been a big part of my life.  One of my biggest regrets is never having really learned to play an instrument.  I dabble with the trumpet, but I wouldn't begin to call myself a musician.  I plan on making sure that the girls learn an instrument when they are young so they will have it when they get older.  I have always had a huge interest in music though.  I used to have an addiction to buying new CDs.  I ended up with a massive collection of music from many different genres.  I am actually glad that I was like that when I was younger, because now I have a large, diverse collection on my iPod that I would not be able to afford now that I have a family.

The thing that I love about music is it's ability to bring out so many different moods and feelings.  You can catch a song on the radio, or when your music player is on shuffle, and a flood of memories come rushing back.  That in itself can be a two edged sword.  Sometimes those memories are welcome and other times they are anything but.  Sometimes a song will make me tear up, and others will make me smile no matter what.  Unfortunately some incredible songs are almost impossible for me to listen to anymore.  Some remind me of dead loved ones and others of some dark times in my life.  But more often than not it is a good memory.  The other day I had an old Bob Segar song pop-up on my player.  I immediately had memories of road trips when I was a kid.  My dad loved Bob Segar, and we would listen to 8-tracks while driving to California to go to Disneyland.  I ended up listening to the whole greatest hits album and soaking in the nostalgia.

Music can also be used to set or change a mood.  Whenever, I am feeling down and want a pick me up, I listen to Ska or Swing music.  I also go for Rodrigo y Gabriela at times.  It is almost impossible to be in a bad mood while listening to that kind of music.  Sometimes though you want to wallow in your misery.  Then I go for some Sigur Ros or The Smiths.  When I am stuck in traffic I like some Metallica or Tool.  When I feel like chilling out with a magazine and a Scotch, nothing fits the mood like some Charlie Mingus or Chet Baker.  No matter what you want there is music to fit the setting.  It enhances the feelings and helps to make the situation feel right.

One thing we have found with the girls is how big a role music can play in getting them to do things.  We seem to have a song for any activity.  To get them to brush there teeth, instead of just chew or suck on the tooth brush, we sing the Move It song. (Think Madagascar: "We like to move it, move it!")  We have songs for waking up.  I made up a song to get them to eat. ("Chomp, Chomp, Chew, Chew, This is how we eat our food.)  They both love music.  For a while we were playing them kid's music in the car.  After a while there was only so much of that we could take!  So I went through my music and picked out songs that had a catchy chorus, or were just fun, and made a CD.  The first couple listens they were not that into it.  Now they ask for specific songs.  The youngest loves "Perhaps" by Cake.  The oldest likes "Hot, Hot, Hot" by the Cure. They both love "Go Daddy-O" by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy.  It has made for saner car rides.  I made a second CD with some Stevie Wonder, No Doubt, and others on it, that we are breaking in on them.

So it is pretty obvious that music plays a huge part in our lives.  How about yours?

1 comment:

  1. I think this is brilliant! I made a CD for Autumn and her little one because traditional nursery rhymes and song weren't her style. So I made a mix that she really liked and Azara is enjoying now that she's older and can sing along.

    ReplyDelete